Thursday, November 29, 2007

Grandma Books and Womens Fashions

When I found out that we were going to be blessed with a baby girl, I was thrilled. Then it hit me...teen fashions! Britney Spears! 9 year olds and booty shaking dance teams -Aauugghh! What is a mother to do?? After the initial shock I remembered that fashion goes in cycles. Maybe the 80's will be back (again). It wasn't pretty, but the worst that can be said is that we wore too many layers. Think, polo shirt(collar up) under oxford shirt, under big v-neck sweater. Yes, this charming ensemble was worn with weird patterned leggings, but still, there was no belly button, thong underwear or "tramp stamp" visible.

But I have a better idea...Let's go back in time to the Regency Era (early 19th century). Women wore Empire-waisted dresses and the showing of an ankle was considered "fast". The waltz caused a scandal and special permission was needed before a girl was allowed to dance it at all! Now, please note that I get most of the information about this time period from my current addiction to "Grandma Books" aka, "bodice rippers" or the more general term "trashy romance novels". For those of you who would like more info on the styles of the day and some lovely writing that combines intrigue, murder and romance (who knew a "seduction scene" could last 8 pages?!), please go to

http://www.stephanielaurens.com/

Note: we call them Grandma Books, because my late Grandma Brown had a ton of these and we would hear a guilty chuckle from the other room as she read them. She favored Westerns, I believe, with shiny foil writing on the covers...Ahh, Grandma, I have been thinking alot about you this week, as I look at Madeline. I wish she could have known you.

3 comments:

  1. i have to say, i was thinking fondly of grandma brown during the family beach vacation this year... i would often hear a muffled chuckle or snicker from your distant beach chair - the bemused expression on your face was a ringer for ole ruth brown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely remebrance of your grandma! And the 80s fashions were not so innocent (flashdance, anyone?) although I agree I would take that over today's choices for my daughter anyday. When is Madeline accepting visitors from outside of her family? We are dying to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rest assured... that for now at least, Lauren is content to wear princess dresses... and she LOVES tights. She has also informed me that she won't get her ears pierced until she's 9 (no idea where that came from), but she is quite smitten with tattoos... circa the vending machines at grocery stores. Right now there is a big red salamander on her calf. Daddy helped with that one.

    ReplyDelete